Viivo Shuts Down – Here is Your Cloud Encryption Alternative
The cloud encryption program Viivo announced on its website that it is shutting down services on July 1st, 2017. Viivo is one of the most commonly used cloud encryption tools that has often been recommended alongside Boxcryptor. The good news is that Viivo users have sufficient time to switch to another encryption tool, since Viivo will only stop support in a year from now. However, no new features will be developed and you will not be able to register new devices and create new assets starting July 1st.
Therefore, it is smart to start looking for alternatives now, to make the transition as smooth and secure as possible. If you lost your device, you would not be able to register and access your data on a new device.
If you are looking for an alternative, you are in the right place. We compare the features and functionalities of Viivo with Boxcryptor, the encryption software “Made in Germany” that protects data of customers worldwide for over six years now. And we are not going anywhere.
Convince yourself, why Boxcryptor is a great alternative for Viivo.
Features of Viivo
- Encryption of cloud storage such as Box, OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox
- Was available for Windows, macOS, Android, iOS
- Zero knowledge encryption
- Sharing files securely encrypted with other Viivo users
- Plans start with $5 per month, business $10 per month
Features of Boxcryptor
- Encryption of over 20 cloud providers, USB drives, local folders and every cloud with WebDav
- Available for Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS and Android
- Software “Made in Germany”; infrastructure and offices located in Germany
- Sharing files with Boxcryptor users and non-Boxcryptor users thanks to Whisply
- Zero knowledge encryption
- Filename encryption starting with the Unlimited Personal plan
- Plans start with 36€ per year, business plan for 72€ a year
- Official premier technology partner of Dropbox
How to Migrate From Viivo to Boxcryptor
Switching from Viivo to Boxcryptor is simple but could take some time if you have to sync a large amount of data. Viivo offers a guide how to decrypt and move your data away from their software. Make sure that your sensitive data is at no point unencrypted in the cloud. Move your cloud data out of the cloud and then back in, once you set up Boxcryptor.
Getting Started with Boxcryptor
Step 1: Download and Setup. Download Boxcryptor for your operating system, install the software and create an account. As with Viivo, it is very important that you choose a secure password that you can remember. Since we are a zero knowledge provider we do not know your password and, therefore, cannot help you restore it in case you lose it.
Step 2: Get familiar with Boxcryptor. Open the Boxcryptor drive by double clicking on the Boxcryptor icon in the taskbar, or by double clicking on the desktop shortcut. With right-click you can open the settings.
The Boxcryptor drive is a virtual drive that manages your encrypted data. Here, you will find all your installed cloud providers. If you use Dropbox, just klick into the Dropbox folder. Add the files and folders that you want to encrypt here. When you add a new folder or file, you will always be asked if you want to encrypt it.
Everything you save to an encrypted folder will be encrypted automatically. Small icons mark your files and tell you whether they are encrypted, in plaintext, or currently syncing. From that point on, working in Boxcryptor is not much different than working in your cloud. Encryption is on-the-fly and therefore the files will behave just as any other data on your computer.
Boxcryptor is free for encrypting one cloud on two devices. If you need more, upgrades are available at any time.